Monday, October 19, 2009

Beginning of Week 3

My brain is exhausted! The things I am reading at the moment are intense and there is a lot of philosophy-type concepts I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around. I am enjoying my classes in general and getting into the groove of reading, even though it is quite difficult.

Things are rolling along, I am making friends! I had a friend, Alex, over last night for dinner! I met her at the LGBT bar hopping thing. I went out for some drinks for her birthday last week, we went with a few others we met at the bar hopping event. Apparently, in Italian culture you buy people drinks on your birthday. So she bought a round of 5 drinks! It made me feel slightly uncomfortable, as I felt I should be buying her drinks. I must save up for my birthday! Alex likes Buffy! We have some important things in common.

In addition to the study group for my Gender Theories class, I have just started a study group with 2 others for my Gender Research and Knowledge Practice class. We are basing this study group on baked goods. Each week, one of us will bake something for the group. I am the first up, I don't have time to bake something for tomorrow, so I am just going to bring some biscuits. I think they will go over well. The two fellow classmates in this study group are really nice, I think we are becoming friends.

I have had a few headache moments with the banking system and bureaucracy here. I deposited my financial aid checks in the bank a few weeks ago. The checks are in $'s instead of £'s (no idea why). Because they are in $'s, the checks have to be sent to the US and back. Anyway, I was originally told this would take 2-3 weeks. I received a letter last week saying it would take 6-8 weeks!! If it does take 8 weeks, I won't have money until December! I immediately emailed the LSE fees office and explained - they gave me an extension to pay me fees. The fees are due on the 28th of October. I am currently living out of my US bank account. This is super frustrating. I am going to go into my new bank and talk to them about how they mislead me. Had I known it would take so long, I would have gone with a different bank. Part of this process is probably complicated by the postal strike, but come on people! The strike was announced! Many businesses that have time-sensitive mail are using other carriers like DHL.

Ok, off to watch Glee with Ellie!

No comments:

Post a Comment