Tuesday, September 29, 2009

1 orientation down, 2 to go

I went to the school orientation for postgraduates today. The director of the school (what Americans would call the president), Howard Davies, addressed us for the first part. He started the orientation by congratulating us on navigating the intense game the British government has set up to obtain a visa. A lot of people laughed - I am not the only one who had a stressful time getting my visa! He asked everyone who was from outside of the UK to raise their hands - it felt like almost everyone. At least 80% from where I was sitting. This is truly an international environment.

I learned some good facts about LSE. 70% of the school comes from outside the UK! There are 9000 students, half of which are postgraduates. LSE has the largest social science library in the world.

I was only gone for a few hours but I am very tired! After my school orientation, I opened a bank account with HSBC and I joined the LGBT society at the societies/freshers fair. You have to pay dues to join a society, it was only £1 to join the LGBT one. I want join the Mexican society and the feminist society at some point. There were 7 floors of a building dedicated to the societies fair! It was a lot to take in and I didn't see the Mexican society or the feminist society. I saw so many other societies, and it started to feel like a lot to go through. There were a lot of people signing up for societies - every floor was packed to the brim.

Ellie and I are going to make sushi tonight. It will be a nice way to unwind!

No comments:

Post a Comment