Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Phone adventures

Finding a phone plan in the UK is different than the US. I know that I am doing a pay-as-you-go plan, which is always going to be different than a contract, but I am still having problems with the differences.

For one, all phones here operate on SIM cards. Some phones in the US do, but Verizon definitely does not (so I am not too familiar with it). Here you can send away for different SIM cards that have deals attached to them. For example, a company named O2 has a SIM card that gives you unlimited texts and internet if you top up £15 a month. I'm looking for a phone to buy, but that will come with a SIM card as well. I am unclear if you have to switch out your SIM card if you want a different deal.

If you get your phone unlocked, you can put a SIM card from any company in your phone, no matter where you buy it from. In the US, my samsung phone has been claimed by Verizon- you can tell because Verizon has stamped itself on the phone.

I am supposed to walk up to Ealing Broadway today and go talk to the people at Orange, I think I have picked them for my phone plan. They have a samsung phone that looks just like the phone I had in the US, although I might not buy it because it is a bit expensive. I could do all of this online, but I will probably understand the whole thing better if I talk to someone.

I messaged someone on my course and on Friday we are going on a campus tour together with some other people on the course. I am excited and nervous. It will be good to get out and meet people before school starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment