Saturday, September 26, 2009

Fighting Beavers!

I have registered for LSE! I have a student card and can officially get into the library. I am quite excited. The mascot of LSE is the beaver. Next week I have a school orientation, recommended public lecture, and 2 all day gender institute orientations. Class officially starts on the 5th of October.

On Friday I went on a campus tour with some people from my course. We went out to lunch and coffee to get to know each other. I didn't immediately click with anyone, but everyone seems nice. I think there are only 3 guys in the course (none of them came around for the tour). This is par for the course in my gender studies experience. I am excited to meet everyone, I hope I can make some friends! I learned that some Hare Krishna people come to the quad of LSE everyday and give out free food - but only for 30 min, so you have to queue early. I have also learned that one of the buildings is rumored to be haunted by a dolphin.

I have also obtained my phone. If I haven't sent you the number and you are interested, send me a message! It is a rudimentary phone, but will do the job. I can check facebook for free with my £10 top up. Which is not actually that fun because it takes so damn long to type everything in. But it is nice to have none the less!

I am opening a bank account next week. I went to a banking fair and almost signed up with HSBC, but didn't have the proper paperwork. Once I have this, I can pay my course fees and rent and all will good!

The student guide given to me at registration has some very funny bits. They recommend things like sneaking on the back of buses to get away with not paying and squatting if you have no where to live. They put a disclaimer that "the students' union does not condone" these things.

Possibly my favorite part of the whole guide is the section on etiquette. "The Brits love to talk about the weather. If you are ever stuck for something to say, a polite comment about how rainy or sunny it is often goes down well." "The Brits love to queue." "At very formal occasions, it is common to start the meal with a toast to the Queen."

No comments:

Post a Comment